Thursday, November 6, 2014

quizzes, recreo, question words and conversations

Hola padres! I wanted to let you know that with 3rd grade, I am planning on there being a quiz about every other week or so. This is mainly so that the vocabulary for them doesn't pile up into a big long list and they end up having a huge quiz after three weeks of class. I feel that a quiz every other week with about 10 words, mainly matching, will help them stay on top of what we are learning. I will always provide a study guide and we will always have activities in class that help them get to know the words. I will also always provide a bonus question or two just to make sure that they are paying attention to other little tidbits I give them during class. Bonus question answers will never count against them, so please encourage them to at least try. They never know what extra points they can earn unless they try!

Speaking of quizzes, our next quiz will be Monday (11/10) for all three classes. Due to having Veteran's Day off next Tuesday, I don't see Ms. Uphoff's class until Friday, so she has graciously agree to give them their quiz on Monday for me. Study guides were handed out this past Monday (11/3). The quiz will cover 8 question words. On the study guide at the bottom of the list is a question: "What is it? = Que es esto?" I had the scholars cross that question out and write in "which=cual" I feel like this fits better into the list than the question sentence. I do expect the scholars to remember the accent mark, but not so much both the upside down and right side up question marks. Hopefully, this isn't too confusing, but if you have any questions, please feel free to email me: ahamilton@archwaytrivium.org

I think the honeymoon stage of me being their new teacher is now wearing off a bit, so I have begun a new way of hopefully reminding the scholars that I need them to always pay attention, follow directions and be respectful to everyone. I am calling it recreo which means recess in Spanish. If I have to continually redirect a scholar, I will write their name on the board under the word "recreo". This means they are to stay in with me at their morning recess and work on studying for their quiz. I have been having them copy down the quiz words with their meaning in the hopes that this will remind them that if they aren't using their class time wisely, that they will then have to make that time up during recess.

Next week, we will start working on short conversations that I will have each class practice in partners and then present to the class. I am hoping to have them realize how much vocabulary they actually do know and can actually use. I will let you know how it goes.

This past weekend, my daughters and I attended the Day of the Dead celebration at the cemetary in Avondale near the corner of Indian School and Rancho Santa Fe. It was a nice event, with dancing, singing, face painting and a look into how the cemetary and graves are decorated for the holiday. Although I know that there are bigger celebrations around the valley, it is nice to be able to support one here locally on the West Side.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Sra. Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment